Saturday, June 5, 2010

You'd think with being home in Iowa that I'd have more time to post things on here- what is there to do here anyway but watch the corn grow? Alas, that seems to not be the case. But no worries! I have been still passing things off!

And another thing, I recently watched the movie Julie and Julia, and feel a little worried about this whole blogging thing now. She got so obsessive about it! Gah! What if that happens to me?!
*deep breath*
I'm thinkin' that it won't-- seein' as how the average update period is about a month...

So that's that! Side note over-- off to the meat of the post!

My mom and I are taking a few cooking classes this summer, and the first one was a Dutch Letters class. For all of those out there that don't know what Dutch Letters are, imagine a cloud pillow of buttery flakeness engulfing a sweet, dense almond dream filling that practically (and literally) melts in your mouth. That, my friend, is a Dutch Letter. Ew. Did you just drool?

Well, we learned how to make them at this class! Now remember, what are the three secrets to French cooking? 1. Butter! 2. Butter! and 3. Butter! And that's pretty much what we did here to make that pillow of buttery flakeness. So good. So good.

That is our cooking preparation area. Note the variety of different rolling pins. It is very important (apparently) to find the rolling pin that works just right for you. And every good chef has at least 2 rolling pins that serve different purposes. Apparently I'm not a good chef, cuz I only have one and I got it from Ikea...


Those are our final product! Typically Dutch Letters are just an "S" shape, but seeing as how I am the chef here, I decided to switch things up a little bit. A word of explanation for the seemingly unsensical and cryptic message (is it pronounced "klahs" or "close"? "Lives" or "Lives"? Who knows!) My roommate KTLN received some Valentine themed window stickies as a party favor. We, being the single and oh, so eligible, attractive, wonderful, and humble bachelorettes that we are/were decided to spurn the "singles awareness day" theme and rearranged the "Kiss" and "love" stickies into the above message. Clever? I'm thinkin' yes.

ANYWAY! Pass off-- one cooking class and making homemade Dutch letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment