Wednesday, April 20, 2011

*eh hem* My name is Beautiful Lady, and I am a.... a..... a.....

FOODIE!

Whew.  I'm glad I got that off my chest.

That's right.  I freely admit it. Say it- say it now! FOODIE! I am a foodie.  For more information, go to this article- "Foodie: What Is That, Anyway?"  According to one of my favorite and most trusted sources, UrbanDictionary.com, a Foodie is:

"A person that spends a keen amount of attention and energy on knowing the ingredients of food, the proper preparation of food, and finds great enjoyment in top-notch ingredients and exemplary preparation."

I love cooking. Plain and simple.  Funnily, I don't like cooking shows.  So you went to a fancy pants school to learn how to roast a chicken so that its flavors and juices swirl around in your mouth like a giant whirlpool of "mmmm-aahh" happiness and savory indulgence- BIG DEAL!  I don't need Emery or ol' Paula to tell me what to do! So there!

I just love trying new recipes. It's one of my life goals to have a recipe for which I am know- something that people from miles around say "Is that Ms. Lady's (insert food item here) I smell?"  I just haven't found that recipe yet.  But I'm looking! Allrecipes.com? Yes please. Joy of Cooking? Oh, yeah.  Obscure recipe books from Border's Book Store? Bring it, baby.

I love chopping, dicing, searing, poaching, slicing, blending, mincing- everything.  EVERYTHING!  There is no cooking class that I will not take! No culinary mountain I will not climb! No potential food-love relationship I will not set on its maiden voyage!

To be a foodie, you gotta have standards. I hardly EVER drink pop or eat anything out of a box (although I did give in yesterday and eat Kraft macaroni and cheese... moment of weakness...).  I check for preservatives and typically live on fruit, bakery bread, yogurt, very little meat, cheese, milk and only sometimes (I'm ashamed to say) vegetables... (although... with Cookie's Brand seasoning, any vegetable can taste superb)

This pass-off is a personal goal of mine to buy and eat something I have no idea what is/never tried whenever I go into a food store (or any other peculiar store/restaurant for that matter).

So far I have eaten Han sushi, dried figs, Samurai mix, Mountain Valley yogurt,  blood orange, pummelo, Valencia orange, honey tangerine, Princess Cake, some other thing that is crunchy but I can't pronounce.... and.... something else.... I can't remember.  And that's all been in the last month!

I guess it's my inner Iowan coming out-- you know, the adventurous spirit... But man- I am a big fan- BIG fan of the non-sayable-name and non-distinguishable-is-that-really-edible? food that is out there in the world.  My advice: embrace your inner foodie.

No comments:

Post a Comment