Saturday, April 16, 2011

Scarecrow: To Oz?
Tin Woodsman: To Oz.

I just did a little research on the Wizard of Oz. IMDB.com gave the Wizard of Oz an 8.3 out of 10 rating. To put that into perspective, Star Wars VI, UP!, and Slumdog Millionaire also got 8.3 ratings. Rottentomatoes.com gave the film a 100% on the tomatometer with an average 9.2 rating out of 10. They describe the Wizard of Oz as "An absolute masterpiece whose groundbreaking visuals and deft storytelling are still every bit as resonant. A must-see film for young and old."

So why haven't I seen this flick??

I blame it on being from Iowa... but maybe that makes it even more pathetic that I haven't seen this piece of classic literature... Hm.

Anyway, in P-town there is a little place called "OZZ," and going there passed off one more pass off.

OZZ sells itself as an "Event and Fun Center" to the people of Provoland, but from the outside, it looks pretty darn sketchy. In fact, I did not want to go there without a big strong person as a body guard...

"Dorothy: Weren't you frightened?
Wizard of Oz: Frightened? Child, you're talking to a man who's laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe... I was petrified.

So my friend, Big J, and I went to OZZ for the first time last night-- and let me tell you-- it won't be my last!

When you get there, you walk through a...uhhh... quaint?... little Hawaiian restaurant to a GIGANTIC room filled with pool tables. It's difficult to tell the difference between the walls, floors, and pool tables because everything in that room is painted dark green. The atmosphere is smooth, cool, mysterious, and I half expected to be breathing in thick clouds of cigar smoke.

The lady at the front table was SO welcoming- she even gave us a backstage tour of the entire building. That place is HUGE! GINORMOUS! MARVELOUS! STUPENDOUS! The floor just kept going and going and going and going and going and going and....

After our grand tour, we played a couple of rounds of pool (I lost all three rounds, but I must say that I had a pretty impressive ability to get the white ball in the holes), and then we left. That was it. After our adventure, I felt like I might just break out into spontaneous song!

Cowardly Lion: [singing] I'd be brave as a blizzard...
Tin Woodsman: [singing] I'd be gentle as a lizard...
Scarecrow: [singing] I'd be clever as a gizzard...
Dorothy: [singing] If the Wizard is a wizard who will serve.
Scarecrow: [singing] Then I'm sure to get a brain...
Tin Woodsman: [singing] A heart...
Dorothy: [singing] A home...
Cowardly Lion: [singing] The nerve!

Visit the OZZ website at OzzFun.com- you won't be sorry :)

1 comment:

  1. I don't know why you've never seen the movie. I'm pretty sure mom and dad own it...

    ReplyDelete